studied architectural arts and crafts at the Dresden school of arts and crafts from 1907 to 1910. His professors were Richard Ludwig Weiße, Wilhelm Kreis and Alexander Hohrath. In addition to his studies, he completed an apprenticeship in carpentry and practical training in the German Workshops of Craftsmanship (Deutsche Werkstätten für Handwerkskunst). In 1913, he moved to Halle (Saale), where he initially worked in the architectural firm of Arthur and Bruno Föhre. From 1914 to 1916 he worked as an employee at the building department of the city. In the period 1916 to 1918 he worked for Bruno Paul in Berlin, then he was a freelance architect in Halle (Saale) until 1932, when he moved to the Soviet Union, where he was arrested in 1938; he died in a camp in Woshajel. In Halle, Knauthe created several office and administrative buildings of a progressive character and aroused interest in the entire German architectural community with his matter-of-fact buildings.