was the son of international law expert Theodor Niemeyer and the brother of the painter Otto Niemeyer-Holstein. He completed an apprenticeship in carpentry in Dresden-Hellerau from 1919 to 1920 and then finished his studies of architecture in Munich. From 1921 to 1924, he was professor and head of the department of interior design at Burg Giebichenstein School of Applied Arts in Halle (Saale). From 1924, Niemeyer initially worked freelance as an architect in Halle, but moved his activities to Berlin in 1928. In the following years, he concentrated his work primarily on housing. After the Second World War, he worked mainly as a painter but was also involved in designs as an architect for East Berlin. Niemeyer was one of the founding members of the Free Association of Visual Artists in Berlin in 1955 and left an extensive oeuvre as a painter and draughtsman.