Petrol station
Petrol station
11

Petrol station

Merseburger Straße 99
Built:
1929
Architect:
Otto Steinkopff
In the late 1920s, architect Otto Steinkopff from Halle was commissioned with building a petrol station on Merseburger Straße.The innovative Modernist building which Steinkopff designed to be constructed in the midst of large Wilhelminian factories and tenement blocks, bears witness to the architect’s great love of experimentation.The circular concrete construction is prominently situated on the corner of the main arterial road to the south of the city.Supported by three round pillars, a plate-shaped cantilever roof in light reinforced concrete rises up over a kidney-shaped base. The attendant’s office featured a glass front, set back under the roof—dynamic-looking and extremely functional.The filling station was very much up to par with the high standards of automobility after the First World War. It is still in service today and regarded as a very original example of ‘New Building’ in Halle.